Tru-Cape was launched in 2001 to distribute and market South Africa’s leading deciduous fruit growers. Most of the fruit which Tru-Cape works with is grown in the southern fertile valleys of South Africa.
Areas where the majority of the fruit is grown is in the Western Cape (around Elgin, Grabouw and Ceres) and in the Southern Cape (in the Langkloof). A mild Mediterranean climate and a variety of micro-climatic and soil conditions found in these areas provide ideal growing conditions for top quality fruit. Refer to the map below to see the distribution of our farms.
Our head office is based in Somerset West, outside Cape Town. The head office team constantly supports our growers by providing scientific and technical advice, and advises them on market trends and preferences. Other head office distribution centres include the 4000 square meter office and distribution facility in City Deep Johannesburg.
Tru-Cape’s apples and pears can be found all across the globe! We export to 105 countries,
this map shows all the countries we supply our deciduous fruit to.
STANDARDS & POLICIES
Tru-Cape puts pride in ensuring that the fruit that we export and provide to the local market is of the highest quality. To make sure this is the standard we set, all of our apples and pears are subject to certain standards tests, and our facilities are operated in a manner which reflects our standards and policies. Below is a more detailed description of some of the most important standards and policies that we follow.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY
Tru-Cape’s high occupational health and safety standards have ensured our NOSA SHE accreditation, IRCA, and is in full compliance with South African law.
CONSUMER HEALTH & ENVIRONMENT
Tru-Cape’s farms are all GlobalG.A.P accredited and one of our top priorities is to conserve the remarkable natural biodiversity of the areas in which the orchards are situated. Practices which preserve and encourage biodiversity are being incorporated to ensure that the surrounding Cape Floral Kingdom (the smallest but richest plant kingdom on earth) is protected.
Tru-Cape’s environmental policy includes the following rulings:
- All physical and chemical manipulations taken to improve fruit quality will be done in compliance with the strictest international and national food safety and environmental standards.
- All Tru-Cape fruit must be produced in accordance with recognised Good Agriculture Practices.
- All unnecessary electrical use will be eliminated. Lights and machinery will be switched off when not in use.
- All used paper will be sent for recycling.
- All unsafe materials such as used chemical containers will be sent to a facility that carries a recognised certificate to safely handle or dispose of those substances.